Cutest Blog

Monday, October 29, 2007

How would the school work?

If I had the money I could just hire qualified people to run the school and hire teachers. This would of course work, but I have another idea, if I can find people interested. I believe that parents are the first, best teachers of their children. This comes from my experience with teachers and schools. Most public schools try to teach children with a generic curriculum forcing every child to conform to what the teacher or curriculum requires. The children are tested and either retaught or the teacher just goes on and the child is left behind. How do the schools deal with the child who doesn't get it? Tutoring, resource rooms, remedial class rooms, and other things that I don't know about. Problem is the child is removed from class for the fun stuff (including recess, art, PE or other non essential things) to re-taught whatever he or she didn't get. That takes all the fun out of school.

I once read or was told something that rang true to me. Everyone can learn. Some people need things repeated once to get it (my ds2). Some people need it repeated many times, (my ds3). Some people need it thousands of times (the little girl with Rhett's Syndrome and others like her.) You just have to repeat it enough times for that particular person. Parent's are the first ones to learn how often something needs to be repeated for their child to learn it. After all, parent's have taught the child just about everything he/she knows before a school, teacher or anyone else gets to try if the child's disability wasn't obvious at birth. Even then, I believe a parents are given intuition for that child. The parent is the only person that will be around from the time the child is born until the child leaves the home however that may occur. Parents have the long term interests of the child at heart. In my experience, schools try to get through this year. The school personnel have never discussed how the IEP goals for this year fit into a long term play. I have had a teacher or two say things like, "He will just have to learn to deal with that." Whatever "that" may be does not always need to be forced right now and could be done in a much gentler way.

That is one way to run a school. Hire qualified personnel. It is not bad, it just isn't what I really want. What I want would be a homeschool type co-op where at least one parent would participate in the school contributing their time, talents and/or money. Many homeschool parents love to be with children and would teach. The parents could teach whatever level they are comfortable with and still be at the school where their children attended, an invaluable resource to the immediate needs of teachers and that parent's child. Each level would need at least 1-2 trained parent-teachers, and 2-4 aids in every classroom (depending on the needs of the children) so that parent-teachers could leave as necessary. Parents that do not like to teach could participate by preparing meals, building/making equipment, fund raising, gardening, janitorial, secretarial, library, art, music, aids to one on one work, speech, occupational therapy, ABA, RDI, assessment, training others, what ever talents that parent has could be put to work. Creativity would be needed.

Would this work? I don't know if there are that many people willing to do something like this. It takes a lot of coordination and dedication. I hope that there are people like me, dedicated to their children enough to make it happen not only where I live but elsewhere. People seem to think is an okay idea, but don't want to commit to it. Not when public education is free and you get time away from the difficult life that is a part of having disabled children.

No comments: