Cutest Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2009

May 7, 2009 John's Having trouble with school-again

Chris is AP-ing, but done for this week. He is taking 5 tests overall, so life is a little stressful for him. He is also busy making money to take Kelly to the Prom. Kelly is going to MSU so she and he will be breaking up (sort of ) soon. He seems ready for it. Not that he doesn’t like Kelly and everything, but…whatever.

Eric is busy procrastinating homework. He had to write a poem about an abstract noun with imagery. He did a great job, but he waited to the last minute (as always.) It wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be though.

Mark is getting frustrated by John and Daniel. He loves watching TV, especially Hogan’s Heroes. I’m okay with that. I get my computer back.

John is having a little more trouble with school. I don’t know why. He is claiming to be sick every day again. I check his temperature every morning before I send him off. He is regressing in his potty training. ARGH! But he is starting to overcome it again. (up and down, up and down with him) We went to Texas Children’s for a re-eval on Monday. They got the full range with him. He worked hard on some stuff and refused other stuff. He threw a fit and ran out of the room and he sat and worked hard. He worked with the tester alone for a while and then I had to go in. I was busy with another person asking a bunch of questions so we weren’t quite done. He interrupted a lot while we were trying to finish up, but we got it done. Then I took him to the lab to get some blood tests. That didn’t go well. My back has been giving me trouble ever since. We did manage to get the draw though.

Daniel’s MRI was interesting. Daniel did great. He complained when they put in the straw (IV), but then he went out like a light. We saw the neurosurgeon later that day. He said that he wasn’t sure, but it looked like it may have grown a millimeter or two, but it was too early to tell. The changed his next MRI from 6 months to 3 months. He really couldn’t tell because the pictures they take aren’t at exactly the same spot as they were in the first place. The brain tissue around it is all normal, so it really is the “plumbing” that is the worry. There is about a centimeter (from what I can tell by looking at the pictures, and I am not trained) left before it blocks off, so if it is only growing a mm or two it will be a little while yet before he gets sick. It is a good idea to keep a close eye on it. The problem I have is that the symptoms of hydrocephalus and the flu are pretty much the same (except maybe the fever), so I asked how I was suppose to tell the difference. Basically, I got a shrug back (if you can see a shrug through the phone as I was calling.) I just am suppose to tell someone it could be hydrocephalus instead of the flu if I need to take him to the hospital or doctor.

I have been a little under the weather. I am not sure if I was sick or if the change in medications I am taking didn’t sit well. It doesn’t much matter now. I feel better. I suppose if I have to do stuff, spending hours on end sitting at Texas Children’s was the way to go.

The guy who does the mulch and stuff in the front yard came by yesterday. I had him pull out the 3 mostly dead loquat trees and bought an apple tree and an orange tree to replace them. The third tree doesn’t need replacing because of the little sago palm that was planted a few years ago has gotten big enough that it nothing needs to go there. Our lemon tree has another batch of little green fruit on it. What am I suppose to do with all these lemons? The orange tree has a bunch of little oranges on it as well. It is only about 2 feet tall so I am really surprised it is ready to produce, but It looks like we will have some oranges soon. At least oranges are edible.

I gotta go now. I have a physical therapy appointment for my back.

No comments: