Cutest Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

April 11, 2011 “I have no idea what you said.”

John has been doing okay. Last week was General Conference so getting him to church yesterday was a challenge. My back is sore because I had to keep taking him back to his room while he was screaming, yelling, and fighting. He didn’t hit, just collapsed on the floor. He and Daniel are about 100 lbs. now. It is really hard on my back when I have to fight him. I sure hope he learns some obedience by the time he is taller than me. That isn’t very far away. Now for the Funny John stories…When we finally arrived at church, it turned out to be right on time, we were walking by the primary room. There was a lady from Memorial Ward standing at the corner. She kind of patted John’s head as we tried to squeeze by the people standing outside the primary room. John leaned into her for a hug. She was quite surprised and said, “Oh, you’re giving me a hug!” So she hugged him and we went on our way. I just kind of giggled and shook my head. Then, because of it being the Sunday after General Conference, when we got to the chapel John refused to enter. We sat on the couch in the foyer until the sacrament was over. Or I should say, I tried to get John to set on the couch in the foyer. He introduced himself to everyone who came in. He loves to say hi to the babies. Anyway, a lady from Memorial Ward put her stuff on the couch beside us and looked like she was in pain. I asked if she was alright. She said it was a back spasm, probably caused by the rowdy boys in her primary class. I listened sympathetically. Then John returned from introducing himself to a baby and said, “Hi, what’s your name?” She told him, but I don’t remember what it was. Then he said, “My name is John. What’s your last name?” She said a really weird last name so John asked a couple of times more then said, “I have no idea what you said.” She kind of laughed. I asked her where she was from and she told me Houston and then I asked about her name. I don’t remember the answer because just after that John said, “Where is your house?” The lady told him but John didn’t understand where it was. He also asked about living next door to us. I explained that it was a long way from us. Then John asked what her house looked like inside and she told him a little, and then he asked about the colors of her house. He ended by asking if he could come over. I told him no and tried to explain a little about not doing that. I don’t think he understood though. The lady really understood and was amused with him. I explained he had autism and she said her daughter at A&M also had it and that she figured out pretty quick that something wasn’t quite right with John. I was amused, not embarrassed by the whole interchange. John is so funny. I have to keep reminding myself that just a couple of years ago he wouldn’t talk to anyone outside the family. Now he is inviting himself over to anyone and everyone’s house. I think the pendulum swung a little too far. Lol


What do I say about Daniel? He is the same as ever. Happy, loving, kind, cuddly, and totally addicted to PBS and QUBO. I can’t think of any funny stories this week. He has really enjoyed the 72 hour kit meals and snacks but I have to be careful not to let him have the trail mix. They have tree nuts in them. It is a good thing he doesn’t really like nuts. I don’t have to hide the stuff.

No comments: