Cutest Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

No Adults or Toddlers Aloud

Derrick and his family came to visit Saturday evening.  We had a lot of fun and a great talk.  John was really happy to see them, but he decided a little while later that toddlers are “too messy”.  He made a sign that said no adults or toddlers aloud”.  I explained that maybe he would like to say “no adults WITH toddlers aloud”. I am not sure he understood.  Daniel through a fit about the sign.  He was really mad at John because he enjoyed Leah (Derrick’s almost 2 years old) a lot.  They had a bit of a fight, but I got Daniel to calm down and John to go to his room so he wasn’t bothered by Leah so much.

Yesterday, John decided it wasn’t Sunday.  He was adamant about it.  Daniel got really mad again.  He even started hitting John!  It took me a while, but I finally got Daniel to calm down.  I tried to explain that it didn’t really matter that John insisted it wasn’t Sunday, it didn’t change anything and that John would realize it without us forcing the issue. I don’t think I did a very good job.  It is hard to explain the concept to Daniel with his limited ability to understand language.  John mainly just didn’t want to be Sunday because he didn’t want to go to church.  Eventually, John came around (it’s not like he had a choice as to which day it was) and everything worked out as long as I did the John dressing.  I hate that, but I guess it is necessary. 


I think the ADHD medicine I have Daniel trying out may not be the right one for him.  He just doesn’t get angry unless John is trying to make him do stuff.  Being angry because he doesn’t like what John is doing when it doesn’t involve Daniel is really odd and he has NEVER hit except a couple of times when John was hitting him and I hadn't intervened, yet.  I though John needed to know Daniel and other people would hit back. Daniel is becoming a teenager soon, so is it hormones or is it medicine or is it both?  I’ll be talking to the doctor about that.

No comments: