Cutest Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

An Attempt to go to the Theater

We have had a busy week and this coming week is even worse.  Last Wednesday is Daniel’s ARD.  That is the meeting where we discuss his school goals for the rest of this year and all of next year.  They are pretty much the same only a little step harder.  He is about 2 years behind on everything.; most of it due to reading comprehension which is, of course, due to language comprehension.  He is doing really well considering his challenges. In Math he is doing great just struggling with word problems.  I know a lot of people struggle with word problems but Daniel struggles because of understanding the words, not the operations.  He also struggles with 2 step word problems.  He is doing pretty well in Science and Social Studies as well.  It is no surprise that he is having difficulty in Reading, Writing and English.  He is starting to write, with a lot of prompts, some things about his life. I don't have any examples for this year yet, but I look forward to posting them when I do have some.

John has been a handful as always.  Today, we attempted to go on a Field trip with his school to the Main Street Theater.  They asked me to drive him down instead of having him on the bus so I could take him home if things got bad.  I couldn’t make it to the school in time to follow the buses because of Daniel’s bus so I headed out. I saw the buses in the distance as I approached 59.  They were on the overpass from the Westpark Tollway. I couldn’t catch them though.  So I followed the Google map. I found the theater but there was a sign on the door saying for school groups to go to another theater. So I tried to follow those directions but because I tried to memorize them and I guess my memory isn’t very good, I couldn’t find the other theater.  I called John’s teachers and they couldn’t figure out how to get me there so after discussing it with his teacher we decided to go to the zoo.  John would still be counted at school because we tried.  

As we drove to the zoo, we found the buses stopping at Herman Park.  After talking to the 6th grade principle while John was being John, we decided to take him to the Museum of Natural History.  It was way too cold for us with our thin jackets to go to the zoo. We had a good time at the museum.  We checked out the dinosaurs but John was bored so we rushed through it.  John wanted to ride the NASA spinney thingy that was near the ticket booths.  So I got him a ticket and he spun around and upside down, screaming the happy/scared scream that people do on roller coasters.  I can't believe he would actually do it.  He usually avoids sensory input that intense.  Maybe going to Disney World wouldn't be as bad as we think it would.  He loved it but didn’t want to go again.  




We went through the Cockerel Butterfly Center.  He loved that.  We were kind of rushed though because we decided to go to lunch with his dad.  John enjoyed the French fries he got in a restaurant down in the tunnels below his dad’s building. And then we came home.  It was quite a day.

John at the Cockerel Butterfly Center.  I take terrible pictures.  They are always blurry.
Tomorrow, John has a doctor’s appointment about a Vitamin D deficiency.  Wednesday is John’s REED.  That is a school meeting about the evaluations that they took this year.  They have to evaluate him about his autism and stuff every 3 years.  Thursday is a day at home for me unless I choose to go to quilt group.  Friday is Daniel’s doctor’s appointments at Texas Children’s.  What a week.  I am totally stressed out but, one day at a time completed by one hour at a time completed by one minute at a time.


No comments: